This ministry is specifically designed to serve parishioners who are 60 and older and those who care for and love them. Our mission is to support Senior members of Christ Church as we transition into later seasons of life.
Our goals are to:
- Build community among Seniors through participation in church activities.
- Be a channel of communication for church activities that are of interest to Seniors.
- Develop new resources for Seniors as needs are identified.
- Advocate for Senior members.
If you would like to learn more about this ministry, or have a question, an idea, or a need, please contact the church office at 919-834-6259. We are here to support you!
Grief Support Group
You are invited to join us for an eight-week Grief Support Group, which will meet in the Parlor on Wednesday evenings from 5:30-7 p.m., which began Jan. 11. We’re exploring Kenneth Haugk’s curriculum, “Journeying through Grief,” together with scriptural references to grief, children’s books, and our own stories. The group will be co-facilitated by Anna Bess Brown, a parishioner and experienced group facilitator, and Karen Connor McGugan, our Pastoral Care Coordinator, who is also on the chaplaincy staff at UNC Rex Hospital and in the ordination process for the Priesthood. Every person’s grief journey looks different; all types of grief and ways of grieving are welcome. For more information or to register, please contact Karen (firstname.lastname@example.org; 919-834-6259).
Adult Christian Formation Programs
Offerings that are often of interest to Seniors include:
- Adult Christian Formation sessions during the Sunday School hour (10:10-10:50 a.m.) – Learn more via this link.
- Tuesday Bible Study, “Bible Works – Tools for Living,” led by The Rev. James P. Adams. Click HERE for more information.
If you are not able to attend, the recording may be accessed HERE.
For a full list of Adult Christian Formation opportunities, including seasonal offerings, visit Adults.
Parish Life Programs
Lunch and Learn – A variety of mid-day programs, both secular and religious, are offered for fellowship and learning.
For a full list of Parish Life Programs, visit this link.
Pastoral Care Ministries
Trained parishioners visit at least once per month and develop one-on-one relationships with those who are homebound or who express a desire for a new friendship.
Small groups are formed once a year (or more) to gather with a trained facilitator to process, learn, share and mend from the experience of bereavement. For information about upcoming grief support groups, follow this link.
Parishioners deliver casseroles and stews to those in times of need or illness.
Parishioners knit and crochet shawls which represent the love of God and the Church, and they are blessed by the clergy and delivered to those in need of comfort.
Trained parishioners provide weekly one-on-one spiritual companionship for those experiencing a crisis, loss, or life transition.
Parishioners contact those experiencing joys and sorrows and pass along the love and support of Christ Church.
For a full list of Pastoral Care ministries and contact information, visit Pastoral Care.
A Good and Holy End
- Conversations around the end of life – video resource.
- Distribution of ashes in the Memorial Garden. To request that ashes be interred in the Christ Church Memorial Garden, please contact our Pastoral Care Coordinator.
- Finishing Well: Use this link to access the Finishing Well booklet, which provides a guide for making practical plans for the end of life.
- Our Sanctuary and Parish Hall are equipped with induction loop systems, which transmit audio directly and clearly into hearing aids equipped with a T-coil.
- Large print versions of The Book of Common Prayer are available at all services. Simply ask an usher and/or greeter to provide a copy for you.
For more information about Church Accessibility, including accessible parking and entrances, visit the Accessibility Page.
Prefer postal mail or don’t have access to email? By request, the church will send you a hardcopy version of its weekly reflection and Sunday bulletin. Contact the church office at 919-834-6259.